Monday, March 3, 2008

chapter 7: The Last Punch

we sat there in silence for a few minutes as we devoured our dollar menu chicken sandwich.
he seemed pleased as he desperately gasped for air once the last precious bite slid down his throat. ten piece nuggets and double cheese burgers are next.
the song changes, I cant recall what it was...

in my car I felt overwhelmed with memories of past times. the possibilities that exist and still i find myself in a hole i cant seem to climb out of.

i sat the unopened box of nuggets by the gear handle. he opens the box and sets it down, but it tips over and the nuggets fall under the seat. if it had been anyone else i would have laughed and picked up the pieces and ate them without thinking anything about it.

i slapped him like a mother slaps her child. he slapped back as if rebelling for the first time.
a game of dominance that i later realized i was only playing with myself.
i threw it all at him, honey mustard and all...

i threw the first punches and then we began to dance in circles.
a fist grabbed my hair tight as we simultaneously hit the ground.
i began to cry as i held him in my arms while he struggled to break free.
i made him bleed over chicken nuggets.

No comments: